Thursday, January 10, 2008

Proof and Sacrifice

Today's reading is found in Genesis 21:1-7 and Genesis 22. The Bible tells us that God granted Sarah the privilege of having a baby. She finally held in her hands the promise child that had been spoken about years earlier. Only God could perform an awesome miracle like this. Especially when we consider that Abraham was already 100 years old! That's why she named him Isaac because "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me."

But some time later, God spoke to Abraham and told him, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about." What a horrible trial! After waiting for so long to have that boy and then God gets the big idea of having him sacrificed. Yet, God is not into human sacrifices. He just wanted to see if Abraham loved more the things that were given to him or if he truly loved the Giver. It's amazing to see that Abraham obeyed every one of God's orders without question. Abraham trusted God! And God blessed his obedience.

Today I've learned that if I truly love God, I must give to Him everything I have. Nothing should be held back. Nothing should be denied. Even things that seem insignificant are important when God requires them. For example, what will I do when God asks me to sacrifice my right for revenge? It's my right. But do I really love God? Will I be willing to give it all? What about you? Do you really love God? Be cautious about how you answer because He may demand proof and sacrifice.

No comments: